As you look at many historical accounts of mercury poisoning you will notice
the victim’s in many instances are never referred to as “mercury poisoned.”
Several parents on our board have children who have been diagnosed and treated
for mercury poisoning, but still to this day are referred to as having “autism.”
As you read this historical account of the mercury based preservative thimerosal and its connection to autism, you can read how the first cases of autism diagnosed in the United States have a definite link to mercury.
Many people can remember the famous Life magazine photo essay taken in the early 1970s of the Minamata Bay disaster victims. Often you will read stories of the Minamata victims developing what was later referred to as “Minamata Disease” when actually the known etiology was “mercury poisoning.”
“Pink Disease” is another misnomer for mercury poisoning. For several decades prior to the 1950s infants were given mercury laced teething powders. The name “Pink Disease” was given because the infants’ hands and feet would turn a bright pink color. Learn more about Pink Disease at http://www.pinkdisease.org/
In a recent Pink Disease study they surveyed 522 adult survivors of Pink Disease about the health of their grandchildren. They found that 1 in 25 of these grandchildren had an autism spectrum disorder compared to 1 in 160 children of the same ages in the general population in Australia, a staggering six-fold increase in relative risk.
The studies author Dr. Austin stated, "The large elevation in autism
prevalence in this group of children was startling especially given that rates
of other childhood disorders were at expected levels. The thing that
differentiates these children from the general population, to which they were
compared, is a family history of mercury sensitivity. We were simply blown away
by the results."
As children we read the book “Alice and Wonderland” and remember the mad hatter, but few of us know how the hatter became mad. The hatters during the 1800s would use mercury in the felting process to make hats and were usually working in non-ventilated rooms. Read more about the hatters who became poisoned with mercury http://www.naturalnews.com/016544.html
Mercury poisoning often goes undiagnosed due to its insidious progression and due to many symptoms which will occur with someone who has chronic mercury poisoning. Most medical doctors today are only able to recognize acute poisoning and not chronic poisoning.